kmid2 help

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 14 02:14:06 UTC 2010

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Do you know how I load a sound font in timidity, or is the default
> /etc/timidity.cfg all I need (it points to
> /usr/share/soundfonts/somethingorother.sf2)?

Normally, the default settings are fine (i.e. leave the entries blank in
KMid2, let timidity++ load its default sound font).

> Curiously, I managed to get kmidi2 working with fluidsynth and the default
>  alsa setting. It sounds pretty good, really.

Strange. I've had only trouble (completely unacceptable output) trying to
use FluidSynth's ALSA backend with PulseAudio running, and other users too.
Maybe you're actually having it talk directly to the hardware (which is a
bad idea as it'll fight over the audio device with PulseAudio)?

FluidSynth's PulseAudio is quite broken too, but not as badly as the ALSA
backend on the default/pulse device.

timidity++ with PulseAudio output just works for me.

        Kevin Kofler