kmid2 help

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:25:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Try setting the output to "pulseaudio" (which should really be the
>> default in Fedora, I'll have to set that default somewhere). I recommend
>> timidity++ as FluidSynth's PulseAudio support leaves a lot to be desired
>
> Ok, I will try timidity with the pulseaudio setting later (I tried it with the
> default alsa setting and no sound).
>
> Do you know how I load a sound font in timidity, or is the default
> /etc/timidity.cfg all I need (it points to
> /usr/share/soundfonts/somethingorother.sf2)?

Fedora's default soundfont is /usr/share/soundfonts/default.sf2. It
would be good to configure the software to use the default soundfont.

What would be better is to make the corresponding package require
"soundfont2-default", and patch in the Fedora defaults.

If you go the timidity way, timidity.cfg should work out of the box.
File a bug if it does not. Timidity uses the "patches" format of the
same default soundfont. "Patches" means lower quality and less
instruments. Since "patches" take a lot of space, we needed to cut
their size from 4-5GB to ~200MB. This resulted in a little bit of a
quality loss.

With kmid2, the best quality results are achieved via
fluidsynth/qsynth/jack/qjackctl combination, as it is with most midi
applications. fluidsynth/qsynth/alsa should be good too. In these
cases, you will have the full quality soundfont.

Orcan