A little more MIDI help, please

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:25:59 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> I notice that a lot of MIDI programs require jack-audio-connection-kit in order to
> emit sound.
>
> Do I need to somehow terminate pulseaudio before running jack, or will there be no
> problem with both on at the same time?
>
> Will jack-controlled applications respond to the volume slider of kmix, even though
> this is used by pulseaudio?
>
> And, when I am finished noodling, I will terminate jack, but do I need to somehow
> restart pulseaudio, or will it simply be working when jack stops?

That depends on what you want to do. If you are using midi just for
fun, keeping pulseaudio should not hurt. Theoretically, pulseaudio
should hand over the device to jack when jack needs it, and take it
over when jack is done with it. I don't know if this is really the
case practically.

My jack runs with alsa backend and kmix' plain alsa sliders of work with jack.

On the other hand, if you are using jack for low latency audio
productional purposes, or if you simply want to have full control over
your audio device, then it is best to get rid of pulseaudio. That's my
way :)

Orcan