kmid2 help

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 23:57:31 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> If you go the timidity way, timidity.cfg should work out of the box.
>> File a bug if it does not. Timidity uses the "patches" format of the
>> same default soundfont. "Patches" means lower quality and less
>> instruments. Since "patches" take a lot of space, we needed to cut
>> their size from 4-5GB to ~200MB. This resulted in a little bit of a
>> quality loss.
>
> Hmmm, Ubuntu has TiMidity++ working with FluidR3_GM.sf2 using this config:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fluid-soundfont/+bug/196135
>
> Are they doing something special to TiMidity++ or could we use this as well?

That's interesting. I'll look into this. If this works, we might be
able to get rid of the huge patches package and yet have better
quality sound with timidity.

The bad thing is, the timidity maintainer is not much responsive. I
requested comaintainership almost a year ago. Still I didn't get it. I
don't want to make substantial changes to other people's packages.

Thanks for the detective work.

Orcan