kde4.4 in updates-testing

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 20:46:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 15:49 +0100, Thomas Janssen wrote:
> > 2) not restricting yourself to kde* (and its dependencies) increases
> the
> > risk of a flaky system because you're updating a bunch of stuff you
> > don't care about. It can then be hard to back out to *not* using
> > updates-testing for every future update.
>
> Well. Not true. Whatever is in updates-testing, you should care of.
> Most updates are bugfixes and come in 99.99% of the cases into updates
> anyways.

I mean that unless I'm prepared to do testing and reporting, I don't
care about them because they'll eventually appear in updates.

> And you can easily back out by disabling the updates-testing repo.

"Backing out" means reversing an earlier advance, e.g. by using "yum
downgrade". Disabling updates-testing won't do that. All it does is
tread water until the standard repo catches up. Nothing wrong with that,
but it's not "backing out".

> Nothing brakes, no problem with future updates. We're not speaking of
> enabling rawhide for some updates. That will give you headaches at
> some point.

"breaks", not "brakes", but fair enough.

poc