migration destroyed my distribution lists

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:46:41 UTC 2010

On Thursday 18 February 2010 12:20:26 Neal Becker wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 18 February 2010 00:45:50 Neal Becker wrote:
> >> After migration, my distribution lists in kaddressbook now look like
> >> random ascii garbage.
> >
> > Please describe what you are seeing, and where.  Vague things like this
> > give us no chance of helping you.
> >
> > Anne
>
> See attached.  'adg' is a dist. list.  It used to be a list of names.  It
> looks to me, that the vcf file has a UID for each person, and the dist list
> is a ref to these UIDs.
>
> e.g:
> X-KADDRESSBOOK-DistributionList:;NmeHrnOTSK\,;2i4hfxBSOd\,;s6Q3CFWGtm\,;vq9
>  TCsQRbp\,;gtwnqAv0TZ\,;Ne9cQXQUB6\,;LqVX3rVhdr\,;HtXWCXJxhz\,;GBspyD2Rka\,
> ; KAUdn8y7Wi\,

That's not gobbledegook :-)  They are identification strings - more or less
what you guessed.

> It's not just cosmetic (kosmetic?), I found out because I tried to send to
> my dist list adg with kmail and it didn't work (did not expand adg to the
> list of recipients).  This worked fine before the upgrade to 4.4.

The old lists will not be migrated in a workable fashion, as the mechanism is
not the same.  You need to identify the names that should be in your list,
then create a group to put them in.  I think you will find that you can see
them under ~/.local/share/contacts.  If you use the dolphin info panel you
should be able to quickly see which contact each one refers to, then create
your group with those names.

Groups are the start of distribution list functionality.  It's not completely
functional yet, but at least you can hit the group entry, see the list of
appropriate entries, then copy and paste into a mail.  The rest is still to
come.

KDE Community Working Group