migration destroyed my distribution lists

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:40:59 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 07:48 -0400, Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> On Friday 19 February 2010 01:20:05 am Ryan Rix wrote:
> > On Thu 18 February 2010 5:32:26 pm Patrick Boutilier wrote:
> > > Brings up a window that allows you to start typing to filter the list of
> > > folders. Just missing the ability the have "rules" to be able to
> > > copy/move messages to different folders based on subject/From with a
> > > single keystroke.
> >
> > Like, filters? (settings->configure filters)
> > You can create filters by right clicking the message->create filter. Hit
> > ctrl- j to filter messages, or rebind that to something else in
> > settings->configure shortcuts.
>
> Yes, that works very well.
>
> One final question. Is there a way (on an IMAP account) to completely delete a
> message by default without sending it to Trash. Shift-Delete does work but I
> would like plain Delete to do the same thing.

The only way to completely delete a message on an IMAP server is to 1)
mark it deleted, then 2) expunge the folder, which will delete all the
marked messages it contains. No matter what cosmetics mail user agents
put on this, that's what they're doing. AFAIK it is not possible to
permanently delete a single message in a folder without also deleting
any other messages marked for deletion. If that's OK with you, go for
it.

One of the things that keeps me using Evolution over other MUAs is that
this deletion model is explicit, with no fraking around with Trash
folders (Evo's Trash is just a virtual folder).

poc