Change default printer setting to duplex

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 20:26:24 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have several printer setting issues that may be related. My goal is to have
all KDE apps (mainly Okular) to print as duplex: flip on long page, since my
printer can do that.

So here are the obstacles:
1. I try to change printer settings from system-settings. After I change this
in Options for the printer, and hit Apply, I get an error dialog box:
"there was an error during the cups operation 'client-error-forbidden'"

So maybe a problem with a permission. I then did what I know: open a terminal,
su as root, run system-config-printer, and change the settings there. So my
question, why doesn't KDE prompt me for authentication ?

2. After doing that, I checked again under System-settings, printer
configuration, and it seems that it reflected the changes I made. However, under
Okular print dialog, Options, it still says: Duplex Printing: None. Why is
this so ?

Under the same printing dialog, if I click Properties, Advance, I can see that
it has : 2-Sided Printing: Flip on Long Edge (Standard).

So how do I make this the default so that I don't have to go through Options
in the print dialog everytime ? Or is this a bug that should be reported
upstream to KDE ?

Thanks.
AC