ThinkPad Hotkeys

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 24 09:37:17 UTC 2010

Sven Lankes wrote:
> Screensaver:
>
>   this could maybe lock the screen by default but the KDE
>   default for that action is CTRL-ALT-L and as it's not possible in global
>   shortcuts to assign two shortcuts for one action I don't know how this
>   could be achieved.

It's actually possible, but the UI doesn't support it. This just needs to be
fixed. There are other contexts where you want 2 global shortcuts as well,
like multimedia actions (multimedia key and plain key combo). It's also a
regression from KDE 3 which allowed this just fine. There's a bug filed for
that at bugs.kde.org, but sadly upstream doesn't care. :-( I may end up just
patching the Fedora packages to add a "global alternate shortcut" entry to
those dialogs.

> Battery:
>
>   This one is interesting - the powerdevil battery plasmoid actually has
>   keyboard shortcuts in it's settings and setting it to "Battery" will
>   bring up the battery screen when the shortcut is pressed just fine.
>
>   This should probably default to Battery as it's currently not set at
>   all. But why doesn't that show up under "Global Shortcuts" in System
>   Settings?

Because it has to be set in the preferences for the plasmoid.

> Sleep & Suspend:
>
>   I cannot see any way to make those Buttons Suspend to RAM & Disk in
>   the Keyboard settings. Anyone?

This probably needs to be added to PowerDevil, similarly to how the
brightness keys are.

> Display:
>
>   That one is supposed to cycle through Display / External Display. I
>   don't think there is anything in KDE to make use of this short of
>   calling xrandr directly?

This key is sometimes handled in hardware, sometimes not, it's a big mess.
:-( I don't know what KDE component would be most appropriate to handle that
key.

        Kevin Kofler