Regular users happy with KDE 4.4.0 SC?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 24 11:40:08 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 24 February 2010 10:46:18 Martin Kho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today KDE 4.4.0 came in on my production system - fully updated FC12.
>
> First, congratulations and thanks for the hard and mostly good work!
>
> Next, I was hit by (1) errors during the start of akonadi and (2) a
> messagebox that was telling me that nepumuk is disabled.
>
> I've followed the discussions on fedora-kde, so I knew what could happen.
> But what would a regular user think? Is KDE 4.4.0 some what to early
> pushed?

Most of the problems seem to have been caused by an essential update to
virtuoso coming out far too close to the 4.4 release date for comfort, yet
needing to be included.  Most of us that suffered worst were the ones that had
been running virtuoso already.  The developers thought that hardly any
'ordinary users' would fall into that category, and were surprised by the
result.  The 4.4.1 update should be out soon, and I'd be inclined to not push
4.4.0 to users that are less than comfortable with fixing things.  Just my
opinion,of course.

> How can we be - a little more - sure this won't happen in the
> future? Any thoughts on this? (I tried kde 4.4.0 on rawhide and not on my
> production system for obvious reasons :-))

I've already been talking to various people about this.  As often happens, a
failure of communication was a part of the problem.  Work is being done on how
best to spread the information when something can cause a major issue, as was
in this case.  One suggestion is a plasmoid to be placed on the desktop at
update time, with a link to any essential release details.  Hopefully we will
be able to do better in the future in respect to communication.

KDE Community Working Group