ThinkPad Hotkeys

Gregory Zysk gmzysk at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 24 13:18:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Sven Lankes <sven at lank.es> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 04:35:35PM +0100, Gregory Zysk wrote:
>
> >> The good news: At least with KDE 4.4 (which is about to be pushed to
> >> -stable and should be available as an automatic update real soon soon)
> >> the thinkpad-keys that I care about (brightness and volume) work out of
> >> the box.
>
> > They always have :-)
>
> Nope. Brightness only started to work with qt-4.6 iirc. At least on my
> thinkpad.

Sven, this is probably because the hardware is different. I have a 1st
generation T61, by that I mean it was produced at the exact time when Lenovo
bought IBM. 1 month after to be exact. So, my laptop has the lenovo label,
but all of the security stickers on the outside state checked by IBM.

I know some have the Nvidia Quadro 140 graphics driver (as mine does). Some
are shipped with the Intel graphics card. The same can be said for the
wireless card.

In addition, brightness, thinkpad light and volume have always worked in
KDE. Moreover all hotkeys worked in KDE 3.X and stopped functioning (except
brighness and volume, thinkpad light) at the start of KDE 4. This has been
an issue since the beginning of KDE 4. Adversely, in Gnome all of the
hotkeys have worked, always.

> > That is not the problem. All functioning keys as in Gnome should work.
>
> So what are you missing then?
>
> The only keys that aren't being recognized for me are:
>
> Touchpad on/off (Fn-F8):
>
>  this one might be handled by the bios but as I don't
>  have a touchpad I cannot test this.
>
> Eject CD (Fn-F9):
>
>  again this may be handled by the bios - I cannot test
>  it either because my x200s doesn't have an optical drive.
>
> Keys that aren't doing anything while they could:
>
> Screensaver:
>
>  this could maybe lock the screen by default but the KDE
>  default for that action is CTRL-ALT-L and as it's not possible in global
>  shortcuts to assign two shortcuts for one action I don't know how this
>  could be achieved.
>
> Battery:
>
>  This one is interesting - the powerdevil battery plasmoid actually has
>  keyboard shortcuts in it's settings and setting it to "Battery" will
>  bring up the battery screen when the shortcut is pressed just fine.
>
>  This should probably default to Battery as it's currently not set at
>  all. But why doesn't that show up under "Global Shortcuts" in System
>  Settings?
>
> Sleep & Suspend:
>
>  I cannot see any way to make those Buttons Suspend to RAM & Disk in
>  the Keyboard settings. Anyone?
>
> Display:
>
>  That one is supposed to cycle through Display / External Display. I
>  don't think there is anything in KDE to make use of this short of
>  calling xrandr directly?

That is the point ;-) All should work, not just some. Is it proper to say to
people KDE works, but only some of it? See Felix's post below for extended
info on what works and does not.

And Sven, I am not trying to complain here, just trying to make the distro
better for all, since there is a demand for this feature :-)

Greg

>  --
> sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net

Title: Fedora Ambassador Netherlands
User Homepage: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gmzysk

PGP Fingerprint: 4643 E1AE 1AAD 85D4 6276
                        7C42 3591 A189 B8BF 04D6