ThinkPad Hotkeys

Gregory Zysk gmzysk at fedoraproject.org
Wed Feb 24 14:25:09 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Sven Lankes <sven at lank.es> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:35:52PM +0100, Felix Kaechele wrote:
>
> >> this one might be handled by the bios but as I don't
> >> have a touchpad I cannot test this.
>
> > It is not handled by the Embedded Controller (EC). It emits an X event:
> > XF86TouchpadToggle
>
> I'll check again but I'm pretty sure it didn't do that for me (checked
> with xev).
>
> >> Eject CD (Fn-F9):
> >>    again this may be handled by the bios - I cannot test
> >>    it either because my x200s doesn't have an optical drive.
>
> > This is not the button to eject an optical medium. It is used to eject
> > your ThinkPad from the Dock/UltraBase. This event should be handled by
> > acpi/udev. I will test it when I get home. It does not emit an X event
> > though. Also there is no good Docking support in any DE at the moment.
> > For example when undocking, whatever responsible for device management
> > should unmount the filesystems that are on devices connected to the dock.
>
> Good to know.
>
> And overall I agree. It's gotten worse with the F13 Kernel/Intel-Driver
> - on F12 I could at least manually (using a script that calls xrandr)
> enable the external and disable the internal display on dock. Currently
> I have to reboot on pretty much each dock/undock.
>
> I haven't gotten around to really debug/report this.
>
> >> Sleep&  Suspend:
> > This is the most annoying. I just expect those buttons to work.
>
> What worries me the most is that apparently distributions like OpenSUSE
> and Kubuntu have this fixed (maybe using ugly hacks) - without trying to
> properly upstream it :(

Agreed ;-) Once again I am sorry for my deficit in technical expertise, I am
working on it. It is a long process and I wish I could give you more.
Nonetheless, I thank all of you for recognizing the issue and working toward
solving it :-)

Gregory

> --
> sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net

Title: Fedora Ambassador Netherlands
User Homepage: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Gmzysk

PGP Fingerprint: 4643 E1AE 1AAD 85D4 6276
                        7C42 3591 A189 B8BF 04D6