Change default printer setting to duplex

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:31:26 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 17:08:00 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Armelius Cameron wrote:
> > So here are the obstacles:
> > 1. I try to change printer settings from system-settings. After I change
> > this in Options for the printer, and hit Apply, I get an error dialog
> > box: "there was an error during the cups operation
> > 'client-error-forbidden'"
> >
> > So maybe a problem with a permission. I then did what I know: open a
> > terminal, su as root, run system-config-printer, and change the settings
> > there. So my question, why doesn't KDE prompt me for authentication ?
>
> Because this has not been implemented or not been implemented properly.
>  It's a bug in any case.

OK. do you know by any chance bugzilla number or should I file a bug on
bugs.kde.org or is this known and I should just wait? (A search on the error
message to bugs.kde.org did not yield result).

I wonder how do the rest of you set up printers, via system-config-printers
still ? If that's the case, I wonder how other distros that runs KDE set up
printers since I thought system-config-printer was Redhat's stuff. Do they use
CUPS directly ?

> > 2. After doing that, I checked again under System-settings, printer
> > configuration, and it seems that it reflected the changes I made.
> > However, under Okular print dialog, Options, it still says: Duplex
> > Printing: None. Why is this so ?
>
> Because Qt didn't load your CUPS defaults. This should be fixed by a Qt
> patch included in our big KDE 4.4.0 update.

Great. Looking forward to it.

Thanks.
AC