Regular users happy with KDE 4.4.0 SC?

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Thu Feb 25 05:52:39 UTC 2010

Rex Dieter wrote, On 02/24/2010 10:35 PM:

> OK, akonadi complains about nepomuk indexing being unavailable.  There's
> 2 causes for this.
>
> 1.  (most likely) nepomuk is simply disabled.  This is (still) the
> default for<  F-13

When I enable nepomuk (and not strigi) it says this:

The Nepomuk Server is not running. The settings have been saved and will
be used the next time the server is started.

Also see a dark highlighted line below the enable strigi box that says:

The name org.kde.nepomuk.serices.nepomukstergiservice was not provided
by any .service file

Is this an error or normal?

> 2.  nepomuk is enabled, but failed to start for some reason.  One reason
> for this is a database upgrade/migration failure.  This is what is
> currently documented on userbase.kde.org.

What should I be  looking for here exactly?

I have never used any of this stuff so this is all new to me. But it
seems like it is 90% of the complaints about 4.4. Otherwise, working
pretty well for me.

-gene