On Nepomuk

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Thu Feb 25 15:01:15 UTC 2010

I've been reading about the aims of Nepomuk
at <http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk>
and at the Wikipedia pages mentioned there.

To me, the aim seems excessively wide,
and therefore rather vague.

There are different kinds of classification,
and I'm doubtful if you can bring them all
under one umbrella.
Searching for a lost photo,
and integrating AddressBook into KMail,
are very different activities;
and I suspect that if you try to use the same program
for both you will simply make both tasks more difficult.

I'm not convinced that there will be adequate recompense
for the added complication.

To my cynical eye, someone (probably in Denmark)
put forward an attractive sounding project
and got a good tranch of EU funding,
and now the project is complete it has to be "sold" to someone,
in this case KDE.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net