Panel transparency in 4.4

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Feb 25 19:53:51 UTC 2010

> I use the auto-hide feature for the panel, so I'd prefer that when it
> appears it not be transparent, since it can be quite hard to read with
> text shoing through from underneath (I'm using Oxygen BTW). Does anyone
> know where to configure this? It isn't among the panel settings as far
> as I can see.

The opacity of the panel is baked into one of the SVG files
that make up the Plasma theme you're currently using.

You can switch the entire workspace to a different Plasma
theme in System Settings -> Appearance -> Style -> Workspace.

You can also just change the theme for the panel element in-
dividually in System Settings -> Advanced -> Desktop Theme
Details.

Different themes have different opacities in their panel
elements, so you might find one that suits you this way.

Finally, the Desktop Theme Details UI also lets you supply
your own SVG file for each workspace element. If you're
happy with a particular Plasma theme aside from the opacity
of the panel, you could make a private copy of the SVG file
that powers the panel (usually widgets/panel-background.svg
in the respective theme's dir on disk), edit in in Inkscape
to adjust the opacity as you want it to be, and then load
it into Plasma via Desktop Theme Details.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein