packaging rant

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Fri Feb 26 09:01:05 UTC 2010

On Thursday 25 February 2010 20:40:17 John Aldrich wrote:
> On Thursday 25 February 2010, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > This is a FAQ, and discussed many many times.  I suggest you search the
> > archives.
> >
> > However, in this case, your comment is laiden with a least a small
> > amount of merit :).  We're thinking about it, it just didn't happen in
> > time for 4.4.  Another TODO for 4.5 perhaps.
>
> Thanks, Rex. All I can do is ask that you guys work on it. OTOH, I may have
> gotten you a volunteer helper... :-) I posted something similar on the
> regular Fedora list and someone there said "they don't have the
> manpower...maybe if you volunteered..." in response to which someone else
> piped up and said "hey, I've been looking for a way to volunteer...." :-)
> So, maybe you'll get some help that you need. :-)

Manpower is not the only one problem. Kevin has concerns how this change
affects updates infrastructure - this changes means lot of new packages. Even
now with monolithic packages it's a huge number...

For first time - it would need lot of work to to split packages, even
maintaining would introduce some overhead. As we usually answer - if you have
a good reason for split for some particular application - fill in Bugzilla
request and we try to fulfill your needs. Also these are small steps to more
non-monolithic KDE packages.

Jaroslav