My particular Nepomuk/Akonadi issue...

Steven P. Ulrick fedora-kde at afolkey2.net
Fri Feb 26 10:54:21 UTC 2010

Hello Everyone
I am creating a new thread on this, because having followed the other
thread on this issue, I don't THINK I've seen it exactly like this.  Even
if my situation IS the same as others that have been fixed on this list, my
problem has not been fixed.  So, here goes...

I am using KMail 1.13.0 from within Kontact 4.4.  This is all with the KDE
that ships with Fedora 12 (which recently came in with the normal updates.)

When I log in, I get the normal message about Akonadi starting up.  It
seems to do this successfully:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-002.jpg

After a few minutes (or less,) the following error/warning pops up:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-001.jpg

The following screenshots show that mysqld is running under my name, and
the nepomuk related process that does start successfully:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-003.jpg
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-004.jpg

This is what I THINK sets my situation apart from the others mentioned on
this list:  other than Neopmuk indexing being disabled, I have absolutely
no other issues using KMail/Kontact.  Receiving & Sending email works just
as well now as it did before the recent upgrade.

I just went to the appropriate section of "systemsettings" and checked the
two boxes shown on the following screenshot.  Interestingly, indexing
seemed to be going on for a few minutes, then the error/warning that is
shown in the following screenshot came up:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-005.jpg

After all of that, here is a screenshot of the nepomuk processes that are
currently showing:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-006.jpg

Also, here is the output when I run "nepomukserver" from a terminal:
http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-output-001.txt

Of particular interest (I think) are these lines:
[steve at localhost .public_html]$ grep -i crashed kde-nepomuk-output-001.txt
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
unexpected (Process crashed)
Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 4 restarts left.
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
unexpected (Process crashed)
Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 3 restarts left.
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
unexpected (Process crashed)
Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 2 restarts left.
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
unexpected (Process crashed)
Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 1 restarts left.
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
unexpected (Process crashed)
Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed! 0 restarts left.
ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' stopped
unexpected (Process crashed)
Application '/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub' crashed to often. Giving up!

All of this is after following the advice located on this page:
http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Troubleshooting_Tips

In particular, this:
qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver org.kde.NepomukServer.quit
rm -r .kde/share/apps/nepomuk
nepomukserver

Also, in my case, "qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver
org.kde.NepomukServer.quit" does NOT stop "nepomukserver"  I have to do
that manually.

My system is as follows:
Fedora 12 (fully updated)
Processor: Intel Xeon 2.0GhZ Processor (QuadCore)
Memory: 8gigs of DDR3 RAM

Anyway, I need to go to work now...

Steven P. Ulrick