High resource usage for Konq, nspluginviewer and Xorg...

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Feb 26 16:13:14 UTC 2010

On 02/26/2010 09:40 AM, Linuxguy123 wrote:

> a) As far as I know huge changes were made to the KDE multimedia
> subsystem, aka Phonon.  CPU usage was not high before the KDE 4.4
> update.

Not really.  Most of the major updates here landed without our previous
kde-4.3.4 and phonon-4.3.80 ones.

> b) I have reported a number of bug that were shut down due to "the use
> of the proprietary nvidia driver" where it was ultimately found that the
> driver had nothing to do with it.

Sure, there are exceptions, but genuine driver issues still outnumber
others by far.

That said, video drivers have zero bearing here, flash does.

I can chime in to report that I too have seen higher cpu usage with
flash/nspluginview, but only noticed recently, *after* a flash-plugin
update that I installed on Jan 27.

-- Rex