My particular Nepomuk/Akonadi issue (SOLVED!)

Steven P. Ulrick fedora-kde at afolkey2.net
Fri Feb 26 22:25:36 UTC 2010

> > I am not a developer, and this is a totally uneducated guess.
> > http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-005.jpg seems to
> show
> > the problem.  I suspect that because you checked the strigi service
> akonadi is
> > trying to use it, and can't find it, so fails.  In your position I'd
> first try
> > unchecking the strigi service, then I'd shut everything down and log
out.
> I'd
> > choose to do it that way because it ensures that everything kde needs
> run
> > smoothly gets started in the right order.  If that works, then we try
> find
> > why your strigi service isn't working correctly.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hello Anne
> I did the following:
> 1. Made sure that "Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer" was NOT checked.
> 2. Logged out and then logged back in.
> 3. After a few minutes, this error came up again:
> http://www.afolkey2.net/~steve/kde-nepomuk-screenshot-001.jpg
>
> Being much less knowledgeable than you about this, I tried running
> "strigidaemon" as a regular user:
> [steve at localhost ~]$ strigidaemon
> could not create writer: Lock obtain timed out
> ^Cstop
> DBusHandler::stop
> stop
> DBusHandler::stop
> stopping
> could not create writer: Lock obtain timed out
>
> The significance of this is that when I ran "strigidaemon" as root, it
> appeared to run without error.  So, I proceeded to log out of my regular
> user account, and log into KDE 4.4.0 as root (yeah, I know...)  I opened
up
> a terminal and started "strigidaemon"  I then enabled "Enable Strigi
> Desktop File Indexer"  A few second later, I got a message about the
> indexer being idle.  So, I copied about 1.3 GB of Johnny Cash MP3's to
> /root.  They were happily indexed right before my eyes :)
>
> So, in KDE 4.4.0, Strigi Desktop File indexing works as root and not as a
> regular user.  (For me, anyway...)

> Anyway, eagerly awaiting wisdom on how to make this work as a regular
user.

Hello Anne
Well, after contemplating the above, inspiration struck.  So, I created a
new user and logged that user into KDE.  The result was that file indexing
worked perfectly for that user.  So, this statement "Lock obtain timed out"
from the above quoted error message got me to looking for
something/anything like a temp or a lock file.  Sure enough, I found one
that had me as the owner.  I deleted it, logged into KDE, and, to make a
long story short, Strigi Desktop File Indexing works perfectly for me now
:)

I've looked off and on on the Internet about how exactly I can make use of
this handy dandy new file indexing.  Could you steer me toward any
applications that I can use to actually make use of this new data?

Thank you for your help and patience :)
Steven P. Ulrick