konq as kfm new annoyances

Gene Smith gds at chartertn.net
Sun Feb 28 04:00:08 UTC 2010

Petrus de Calguarium wrote, On 02/27/2010 08:53 PM:
> Gene Smith wrote:
>
>> it comes up the exact same size of the konq
>
> I haven't used konqueror as a file manager since kde-3.5 about 2 years ago, so I am
> not certain how it works for that purpose nowadays. I am also not sure if this could
> be your problem with windows opening full size: are you sure you have not set your
> desktop workspace form factor to netbook and/or are you using the air-netbook style?
> I had a problem a while back with the testing versions of kde-4.4 on my laptop where
> I was unable to get rid of that damned netbook crap when I had turned it on to see
> what it does (fortunately resolved now).

The pop-up dialogs don't always open full-screen but to the same size as
konqueror file-mgr is running, e.g., 1/4 screen. Right now it is set to
Air and not Air for Netbooks. Don't think I have used any netbook
specific setting in past.

>> When you rename a file...
>
> I don't have the renaming problem. When I select a file to rename, the portion before
> the '.' is highlighted and I can click anywhere within to type and then I backspace
> or delete to remove the portions of the old filename. Pressing delete wipes out the
> highlighted part and I can just start typing a new name. When I want to change the
> suffix after the '.', I have to move the cursor over; it doesn't get highlighted.

What you describe pretty much works for me too. However, this is what I
am doing when I see the behavior:

Try to rename file from tmp05_ref-mod.c to tmp05_ref-mod-works.c

1. Select (highlight) tmp05_ref-mod.c
2. Press F2
3. Press right-arrow then left-arrow (positions cursor before the dot).
4. Type the dash "-". At this point only "mod-.c becomes visible; that's
the "annoyance".
5. type "works" and hit enter
6. tmp05_ref-mod-works.c is now completely visible.

The surprise is what I see in step 4 in that all before "mod" shifts to
the left and out of sight while I type "-works". I renamed a lot of
files in kde 2,3,4 and don't remember seeing this pre 4.4.

I think the difference is that the rename "box" or outline does not
occupy the full width of the "Name" field but is the same width as the
original name. So when you type more chars into it, the left-shift
occurs to accommodate the longer name in the original length box.