konq as kfm new annoyances

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Sun Feb 28 12:43:41 UTC 2010

On 02/28/2010 12:00 AM, Gene Smith wrote:
<snip>

>>> When you rename a file...
>>
>> I don't have the renaming problem. When I select a file to rename, the portion before
>> the '.' is highlighted and I can click anywhere within to type and then I backspace
>> or delete to remove the portions of the old filename. Pressing delete wipes out the
>> highlighted part and I can just start typing a new name. When I want to change the
>> suffix after the '.', I have to move the cursor over; it doesn't get highlighted.
>
> What you describe pretty much works for me too. However, this is what I
> am doing when I see the behavior:
>
> Try to rename file from tmp05_ref-mod.c to tmp05_ref-mod-works.c
>
> 1. Select (highlight) tmp05_ref-mod.c
> 2. Press F2
> 3. Press right-arrow then left-arrow (positions cursor before the dot).
> 4. Type the dash "-". At this point only "mod-.c becomes visible; that's
> the "annoyance".
> 5. type "works" and hit enter
> 6. tmp05_ref-mod-works.c is now completely visible.
>
> The surprise is what I see in step 4 in that all before "mod" shifts to
> the left and out of sight while I type "-works". I renamed a lot of
> files in kde 2,3,4 and don't remember seeing this pre 4.4.
>
> I think the difference is that the rename "box" or outline does not
> occupy the full width of the "Name" field but is the same width as the
> original name. So when you type more chars into it, the left-shift
> occurs to accommodate the longer name in the original length box.

Works fine here. In step 4 when I press right-arrow the cursor is
already before the dot (no need for left-arrow). Start typing and
nothing shifts.

The size of the rename box here seems to adjust itself to the length of
the file's name. For example the size of the rename box is bigger for a
file called
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftmp05_ref-mod.c than it
is for tmp05_ref-mod.c