Kontact/Akonadi is disastrous on 4.3.85

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 1 10:59:56 UTC 2010

On Thursday 31 December 2009 19:49:22 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> > So far, all is well.
>
> Correction. After a bit of experimentation with Korganizer, I am able to
>  create and delete entries, but akonadi complains. Nevertheless, there does
>  not appear to be any deficiency in the functioning of the traditional
>  resources I am using.

I use a remote file with Korganizer.  Testing this, I made a new entry from
this laptop (it is stored on a server box), then confirmed that I can read it
on the netbook.  So far so good.  However, while the entry was being saved
there was an alarming notification popup (they really don't stay on screen
long enough to read) from which I got only 'std.ics.....Trash'.  I also have
on screen two warning dialogs, entitled 'std.ics - AkonadiTray' and both
saying 'Unknown error. There is no transaction in progress.)'

As far as I can tell, though, all is well.

The biggest problem I found was that migration to Akonadi appeared to be
automatic, and, since there were issues to resolve, kontact was for a time
unusable.  Also, Akonadi didn't start automatically - and I couldn't get
kontact until I had started it.  Definitely this has been a learning curve
that we don't want to see for most users.

KDE Community Working Group