Kontact/Akonadi is disastrous on 4.3.85

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 1 15:17:24 UTC 2010

On Friday 01 January 2010 11:17:43 Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I use a remote file with Korganizer.  Testing this, I made a new entry
> > from this laptop (it is stored on a server box), then confirmed that I
> > can read it
> > on the netbook.
>
> Sorry to ask an ignorant question,
> but what exactly is the point of akonadi?
> I've only been able to find very general descriptions,
> eg the Mission Statement at <http://pim.kde.org/akonadi/>.
> Is there a short document that will explain this to me?
> Anne's experience does not encourage me to "try it and see".
>
> But what concretely are some - or even one -
> of the things I could do with akonadi?
>
> I've actually found LDAP to be the best way of storing contacts.
> However, it does not seem to me to work very well with kaddressbook.
> Will akonadi be able to work with LDAP?
> Or can it replace LDAP?
>
> Finally, I see that I have (inadvertently) installed the akonadi package,
> but do not see it on my fedora menu.
> How would I start it if I wanted to?

If you type 'akonadi' into krunner you will see various options, including a
tray icon from which you can start it.  I wouldn't bother just yet.

At the moment it doesn't offer you much - it's really only for those of us
that want to debug and help in its development.  Soon, though, it will be
quite different.  The point is that all the data it can collect will be stored
in a database, which will be available to any application that is written with
database ability built in.  It's all part of the grand plan for world
domination :-)

KDE Community Working Group