4.3.85 Akonadi/mysql startup problems

Andreas Petzold andreas.petzold at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Sat Jan 2 09:41:53 UTC 2010

	Hi,

yesterday, I've installed the 4.3.85 packages on my F12-i686 machine. Thanks a
lot to Rex and the other people from the KDE-SIG for providing the packages!

From previous postings I was expecting quite a lot of trouble with akonadi,
and sure enough akonadi doesn't start during kde startup.
However, once kde is up and running I can start akonadi w/o problems from
System Settings->Akonadi, WTF? When I run the test, two problems are
highlighted.

1) MySQL server log contains errors.

100102  9:36:11 [ERROR] Can't open and lock privilege tables: Table
'mysql.servers' doesn't exist

I've found the following userbase entry:

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Table_.27mysql._servers.27_doesn.27t_exist

I haven't tried the recommended fix yet, because I'm a bit confused. I'm
supposed to modify a default akonadi config file to make akonadi work in the
first place? Seriously? Should I bugzilla this for Fedora if the fix works?

2) Previous Akonadi server log error found

Control process died, committing suicide!

I expect to find something like this because akonadi didn't start correctly at
kde startup. But why does it start w/o any problem when I start it manually?
Kontact doesn't work correctly as long as akonadi isn't running. For instance,
while it shows the mail subject in the message list pane, it doesn't display
the mail contents.

Once akonadi was running, the migration was painless. The only oddity was that
my imap addressbook was shown 5 times. I deleted 4 entries and everything
seemed ok.

	Cheers,

		Andreas