Kontact/Akonadi is disastrous on 4.3.85

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sat Jan 2 10:51:23 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:

>> but also programs like kdvi, which seems to me a completely unnecessary
>> replacement for xdvi, which always works perfectly for me.

> Actually, KDvi is dead, it's part of Okular these days. As for xdvi,
> that's completely obsolete and uses some ancient toolkit that looks like
> crap (AFAIK, there's actually a choice between Xaw, Xaw3D and Motif, the
> current Fedora package is built against Xaw3D). I think it's great that
> you can view DVIs in Okular and I don't see the point of using an ancient
> Xaw or Motif app instead.

Well, xdvi works fine for me, and brings up the TeX/LaTeX page
much faster than okular.
Last time I tried, okular (or maybe kdvi) did not bring out
Postscript embedded in .dvi files properly;
but that was some time ago.

Personally, I don't see any advantage in one program
being able to do a lot of different things.
Processing a .dvi file seems to me a very specific requirement,
and I actually prefer a program that "does one thing, and does it well",
as Ken Thompson said.

I also find xpdf is much faster than Adobe's PDF reader,
though that is a slightly different issue.

> I also use Konqueror as my main browser (i.e. at least 99% of the time I
> browse the web).

I guess I don't share the KDE philosophy,
which seems to be to re-invent the wheel as kwheel.
Unless there is actually something wrong with firefox,
it seems to me simpler to use a program available
on all the systems I know.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net