kde-4.3.90 (4.4 rc1) - Sound questions

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 9 16:55:04 UTC 2010

On Friday 08 January 2010 02:08:21 Rex Dieter wrote:
> 4.3.90 aka 4.4rc1 will be landing in kde-unstable f12 repos soonish.  The
> newer kdebindings/python stack required a sip update, which was/is abi
> incompatible, so anything that
> BuildRequires: sip-devel
> needs rebuilding too.  ugh.  The list is not large, but unfortunately, some
> of them fail to build against the newer sip too.
>
> So, long and short... keeping "release early, release often" in mind, here
> it is with some known breakage.
>
> Stuff not rebuilt yet will complain about missing dep:
> sip-api(6) >= 6.0 is needed ...
> So you can choose to remove anything that still depends on that... or just
> wait and hope (or preferably help with fixes!).

Since the update I have not been getting sound notifications from
konversation.  Checking KMix, I found that setting the volume to 50% or more
gave me a feedback scream, and I couldn't hear anything on lower settings.  I
moved on to systemsettings > MultiMedia.

Now the only out put device I have is 'Internal Audio Analog Stereo' and Test
makes no sound.  I've changed the backend from Xine to GStreamer, and now the
Test button does play - but I still have to keep kmix below 50%.  Is GStreamer
now the preferred backend?

Is there no way, any more, of configuring channels?  Why do I get feedback at
such a low level?

KDE Community Working Group