User disk mounting

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jan 16 05:03:12 UTC 2010

Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Hi - Using dolphin I (or any user) can click on an unmounted system disk
> (an internal SATA drive, with a hard disk icon) and it is mounted without
> any passwords with a single click. This is Fedora 12 x86-64.
>
> I can't see why this should be enabled by default from the polkit
> configuration:

KDE uses HAL, not DeviceKit. To avoid depending on an old PolicyKit, they
changed HAL to allow pretty much everything for users in front of the
machine (they only lock down things at the D-Bus level and the interfaces at
that place are not fine-grained enough to distinguish internal vs. external
drives). So this appears to be a HAL issue.

        Kevin Kofler