Dolphin sort by file name differs than shell

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 13:39:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 18:25 -0500, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> Hello,
> I am curious why Dolphin shows different ordering when sort by filename than
> showed by 'ls' in terminal. For example, see:
> http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2114/dolphinordering.png
>
> I think the one shows by "ls" makes more sense, especially in this particular
> case where the file name seems to have hex numbering in it.
>
> I am wondering if this was intentional, or a bug in Dolphin.

Dolphin sorts upper and lower case together, e.g. it will give aAbBcC,
whereas 'ls' uses the lexical order and would usually give ABCabc. The
current LC_COLLATE locale variable may change this (I presume Dolphin
takes acount of it, but ls definitely does). However I don't see how
that would explain your example.

I was tempted to think that the Dolphin output wsas ordered by
modification date (which it is), but the little arrow symbol on the
filename column scuppers that theory.

poc