bindings: what's the big idea!?

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 20:38:47 UTC 2010

I am not a software developer. I am a day-to-day home computer user and I like to
have my system running, up-to-date, and capable of all that the installed software
is capable of (given any hardware limitations).

So...

What are bindings?
Do I need all of them?
Which ones do I need?
What if I don't have some of them installed?

I am confused and yum info package does not make it any clearer: qt bindings to
python, kde3 bindings to python, qscintilla pyqt4 bindings, etc.

What do they do? Are they just for software development, or do these programs need
to be 'bound' to eachother to get the software to function with all of it's
intended features?

A while back, when we were upgrading to kde-4.3.90, I had to uninstall a number of
these various and sundry bindings to python to get the upgrade to work. I cannot
notice any difference without them. As far as I am able to ascertain, they don't
appear to be required. Now, a few, well... qscintilla-python, are again available
and I am asking myself: should I slavishly reinstall all of these packages when
they don't seem to actually do anything? Or are they really doing something more
subtle that is not immediately apparent?