bindings: what's the big idea!?

Armelius Cameron armeliusc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 01:24:22 UTC 2010

On Sunday 17 January 2010 19:53:17 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> So, I guess, as was pointed out, I do sometimes need bindings, even merely
>  to run a program, not only to write it.

I guess to be more precise:
Yes, you need this binding libraries if you happen to run program that needs
them. This should be taken care of by dependencies when you install the
program that needs the binding libraries via 'yum' or 'rpm' (someone correct
me if that's not the case).
Otherwise, no, you don't need to have various python or whatever language
binding installed in your system if you don't plan to develop software or
write program that uses particular binding libraries.

> Is there a way to know which of the myriad bindings packages I need to
>  install on my system?

Not sure, on top of my head. As you said yourself, yum should take care of it.
If yum didn't , then it'd be obvious when you try to run some program and get
an error of some libraries not found.

> What about when I run rpm -e some-binding? Does rpm know that
>  some-binding.rpm was pulled in by yum for some other program?

It should. "rpm" knows about dependencies. It shouldn't allow you to remove
something by doing "rpm -e some-binding" if that particular package is needed
by other program.

> I had a fair number of these bindings on my system, of the form x-python,
>  y-python, z-python and so on. I never explicitly installed them, so yum
>  must have pulled them in as dependencies for some program, but when I
>  installed kde-4.3.90, there were problems that I managed to resolve with
>  rpm -e x-python y-python z-python etc.

Did you maybe install "Software Development" group during initial install ?
Not sure.

> rpm allowed me to remove them, so what happened? Did rpm 'forget' that they
>  were dependencies, or are they no longer dependencies?

rpm itself knows about dependencies, so if the package were set up correctly
it shouldn't let you remove a package via "rpm -e package" if it's needed by
other thing. Yum actually just helps you pulls rpm packages that you need, but
the dependencies information itself is in rpm (someone correct me if I am
wrong here).

AC