bindings: what's the big idea!?

John5342 john5342 at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:18:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 01:46, Petrus de Calguarium <kwhiskerz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks (gmane still isn't showing your response). You have cleared up my misgivings.
>
> Since rpm -e allowed me to remove a package, then it must not be required by any
> currently installed program, and I have likely not damaged anything by removing these
> apparently unrequired packages, so I need not reinstall them.
> [...]

The exception to that is things like applets that you get through "Get
New Stuff". Yum/rpm only tracks dependencies between rpms. If you
install something else manually (applets installed through get new
stuff often contain python scripts for instance) then yum/rpm has no
way to track that so if you uninstall bindings that are needed by an
applet the appropriate applets will start giving an error. If however
you haven't installed such things then it won't matter if you remove
the bindings.

--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those who don't...