requirements for default apps

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 18:57:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-01-18 at 07:11 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> While at FUDCon back in Dec, it occurred to me to come up with
> 1.  some specs and requirements to use as objective criteria when it comes
> to choices about default applications in fedora-kde.
> 2.  general wishlist/todo items to make better
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rdieter/FUDCon_Toronto_KDE_F13_TODOs
>
> In general, these are items that are doable in the F13-development
> timeframe.
>
> I have a couple of ulterior motives when it comes to requirements and
> default applications:
> 1.  It's inevitably a FAQ about "why did you include app <foo> instead of
> <bar>?"
> 2.  I'm disgruntled about a couple of our current default choices (*cough*
> kbluetooth, kpackagekit *cough*), and would like to explore other
> possibilities
>
> So, please comment on what you consider to be core requirements when it
> comes to:
> 1.  packagekit frontend/integration

I had a lot of issues with kpackagekit hanging / reporting a successful
installation while back-end is stilling downloading, etc.
How much love is getting from upstream?

> 2.  networkmanager frontend

I found the gnome-networkmanager worked better for me. Somehow the
interface worked better. (HID wise.)
However, I've yet to install F12 on a laptop, so I can't really comment
on the latest knetworkmanager front-end.

> 3.  bluetooth device support

Given the lack of love kbluetooth is getting from upstream, I'd ship
gnome-bluetooth instead.

> 4.  phonon backend

I had better luck with xine.
Though, no idea if it means anything to anyone else. (I've got 3 sound
cards...)

P.S. Kudos for a getting a reliable pulse integration!

> 5.  anything else you can think of...

Map activity to each virt.desktop by default? (Should more-or-less work
out of the box by 4.4GA.)

- Gilboa