requirements for default apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:23:46 UTC 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 13:11:38 Rex Dieter wrote:
> While at FUDCon back in Dec, it occurred to me to come up with
> 1.  some specs and requirements to use as objective criteria when it comes
> to choices about default applications in fedora-kde.
> 2.  general wishlist/todo items to make better
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rdieter/FUDCon_Toronto_KDE_F13_TODOs
>
> In general, these are items that are doable in the F13-development
> timeframe.
>
> I have a couple of ulterior motives when it comes to requirements and
> default applications:
> 1.  It's inevitably a FAQ about "why did you include app <foo> instead of
> <bar>?"
> 2.  I'm disgruntled about a couple of our current default choices (*cough*
> kbluetooth, kpackagekit *cough*), and would like to explore other
> possibilities
>
> So, please comment on what you consider to be core requirements when it
> comes to:
> 1.  packagekit frontend/integration
Have rarely used it, but it seems OK.

> 2.  networkmanager frontend
I have not been able to see anything useful there for a long time.  Currently
it tells me that my network is unavailable, although I'm working on-line quite
happily.

I would like to see available networks, wired and wireless, and statistics
about my actual connection - particularly speed and wireless signal strength.
Some time ago I tried wicd with Mandriva, and that was the best front-end I've
seen.

> 3.  bluetooth device support
No experience of it.

> 4.  phonon backend
The xine backend worked perfectly for me under F11, but is broken under F12 +
KDE 4.3.90.  Consequently I have several sound problems.  #Note to self -
search bugzilla.

I would like to see the UI showing available devices, and an indication of
which device is being used.  Related, I think - I would like KMix to show my
channels again, instead of simply Internal Audio Analog Stereo, as it does at
present.

> 5.  anything else you can think of...

Most things seem to be fine, thanks.

KDE Community Working Group