requirements for default apps

Martin Kho lists.kho at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 21:19:32 UTC 2010

On Monday 18 January 2010 14:11:38 Rex Dieter wrote:
> While at FUDCon back in Dec, it occurred to me to come up with
> 1.  some specs and requirements to use as objective criteria when it comes
> to choices about default applications in fedora-kde.
> 2.  general wishlist/todo items to make better
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Rdieter/FUDCon_Toronto_KDE_F13_TODOs
>
> In general, these are items that are doable in the F13-development
> timeframe.
>
> I have a couple of ulterior motives when it comes to requirements and
> default applications:
> 1.  It's inevitably a FAQ about "why did you include app <foo> instead of
> <bar>?"
> 2.  I'm disgruntled about a couple of our current default choices (*cough*
> kbluetooth, kpackagekit *cough*), and would like to explore other
> possibilities
>
> So, please comment on what you consider to be core requirements when it
> comes to:
> 1.  packagekit frontend/integration
1. Information about it's usage/solving problems (aka '(K)Packagekit
Handbook');
2. where package x is coming from (from what repo);
3. an option to add/remove repo's;
4. some sort of 'advanced option' where I can enter 'low level options' for
yum per session. (e.g. --skip-broken);
> 2.  networkmanager frontend
1. Information about it's usage/solving problems (aka '(K)NetworkManager
Handbook');
> 3.  bluetooth device support
> 4.  phonon backend
1. There is a handbook but ... :-)
> 5.  anything else you can think of...
Information about configuration options per application (see discussion on the
mailing list 'List of kde configuration options available?')

Martin Kho