requirements for default apps

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 05:15:34 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> A big issue is that if we work on integrating the GNOME apps into the KDE
> spin, we end up doing things like removing OnlyShowIn/NotShowIn which in
> turn makes life a PITA for those folks who really want the KDE option. E.g.
> if we enable gnome-packagekit in KDE (which it currently is not), then
> people can't use KPackageKit properly anymore unless they either remove
> gnome-packagekit (which can break dependencies depending on what they have
> installed, and is also not an option on a multi-user system with GNOME
> users) or manually edit its .desktop file (which gets clobbered on gnome-
> packagekit updates and which also breaks DeltaRPMs for gnome-packagekit, so
> it's not something we should encourage). We already had that problem when we
> wanted to offer KPackageKit for F9, we couldn't make it the default due to
> this issue. (IIRC, rpm -e gnome-packagekit is what I did on my F9 systems to
> solve the problem. But as I explained, it's not an option for everyone.) So
> we'd be doing a big disservice to the people (like me) who want to run a
> pure KDE. (I'm fine with using GNOME/GTK+ apps where they are the only (or
> the only Free as in speech, e.g. I'll take Ekiga over Skype any day!)
> option, but not where there is a functional KDE app which integrates much
> better available. Especially system-related services like package management
> and Bluetooth really need an application which works together with the rest
> of the desktop. For example, gnome-bluetooth tries to use things like
> gio/gvfs, which is not appropriate in KDE.)

You raise an interesting scenario that I had never considered:

I also like the idea of having a pure KDE system. Now, were I to achieve that on my
system, what would happen if I were to create a second user account for myself and
use only Gnome apps? Would that be possible on the same computer? You kind of went
into that above, but I got a bit tangled in it all. Could you elucidate?