requirements for default apps

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jan 19 05:25:49 UTC 2010

Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> You raise an interesting scenario that I had never considered:
>
> I also like the idea of having a pure KDE system. Now, were I to achieve
> that on my system, what would happen if I were to create a second user
> account for myself and use only Gnome apps? Would that be possible on the
> same computer? You kind of went into that above, but I got a bit tangled
> in it all. Could you elucidate?

Well, if we keep the setup where KDE services like KPackageKit get started
in KDE and GNOME services like gnome-packagekit get started in GNOME, it'll
work fine. (E.g. it should be working fine at this time.) If we start
running GNOME stuff in KDE when it's installed (because we decide the KDE
app is "not good enough" to be the default), then we have a problem.

Another issue is D-Bus activation when several implementations of the same
service exist, e.g. for the PackageKit service which is called for on-demand
installation of fonts, printer drivers etc., but that issue is not related
to the default apps discussion and needs to be addressed separately
(probably in D-Bus).

        Kevin Kofler