requirements for default apps

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 13:24:46 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 19 January 2010 05:12:31 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> [sorry for the misthreaded message, due to the all-too-common "Gmane
> doesn't show messages sent to the new address" issue]
>
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I would like to see the UI showing available devices, and an indication
> > of which device is being used.  Related, I think - I would like KMix to
> > show my channels again, instead of simply Internal Audio Analog Stereo,
> > as it does at present.
>
> export KMIX_PULSEAUDIO_DISABLE=1 somewhere in your startup scripts.

If that's the only way, I'll do it, but I'm reluctant.  PA has so much
promise.

> Sadly, KMix doesn't support showing both ALSA and PA items at the same
> time, and PA doesn't want to offer all those ALSA controls. :-( (I wonder
> if it would be possible to write a PA module which gets PA to offer them.
> But Lennart won't like that, I guess.)

In versions earlier than this I occasionally got 'PA not working, falling back
to Intel....' type messages, but everything worked, so I don't know what
changed recently.  Colin Guthrie's work does sound promising.

http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/01/mix-it-up/
http://colin.guthr.ie/2010/01/mix-it-some-more/

KDE Community Working Group