KDE 'changes' my keyboard

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jan 25 16:50:36 UTC 2010

Ben Boeckel wrote:
> The dead keys throw people off.

They need to get used to it. We can't keep legacy crap forever just to make
people happy or we'd still be using typewriters.

> Turning on lv3:ralt_switch_multikey by default wouldn't be bad.

+1, but sadly that got turned off by default in most European layouts (where
it used to default to on) because it makes Shift+RAlt (in that order) behave
(completely) differently than RAlt+Shift (in that order) and people got used
to using Shift+AltGr to select the 4th level (and e.g. the Polish layout
relies on the 4th level for a commonly-used character (Ł, which ironically I
used the Shift+AltGr compose (which I enabled manually) to enter ;-) )).

So there too, a useful feature got disabled by default just to make people
happy who don't want to change their legacy habits to adapt to a superior
system. :-(

        Kevin Kofler