KDE 'changes' my keyboard

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 17:13:00 UTC 2010

Kevin Kofler wrote:

> it makes Shift+RAlt (in that order) behave
> (completely) differently than RAlt+Shift (in that order)

Now, this is truly odd. Normally, one depresses shift and Alt, or shift and Control,
or shift and anything at the same time.

The only place I have ever encountered pressing some modifier key, then releasing it
before typing the other keys (to the extent of my memory), is Alt-SysRq+reisub, but I
seem to recall that that got changed a while back in how the key combination works,
as I now type Alt-SysRq, then I release SysRq but continue holding down the Alt while
I type reisub. If I am not mistaken, the old way required you to have 3 hands, as you
had to hold both Alt and SysRq down while typing reisub.

(But, as for what) Ben Boeckel wrote:
> The dead keys throw people off.

Well, that is simply not true. All over the world, diacritical marks are expected to
be dead keys, or they wouldn't work.