KMail: why is my email spam?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jan 25 19:27:55 UTC 2010

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>> I always use (and always have used) KMail,
>> and I don't see anything odd in my settings.
>> I use the default sendmail for sending email,
>> which could conceivably be the cause of the problem.
>>
>> I wonder if anyone has come across this,
>> and can offer an expanation and if possible a solution?

> But looking at the raw email, you seem to be sending the emails:
>
> your computer > gmane > target mailing list.
>
> Since neither your computer or gmane is eircom.net, it's fairly
> logical to assume that you aren't really the sender of the email, and
> is therefore spam.
>
> You want to use the SMTP servers provided by eircom.net to send your
> email. So:
>
> your computer > eircom.net SMTP > target mailing list.

Thanks very much for all the responses, and the advice,
especially the above.

I see that I had
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(gayleard.com)dnl
in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc on my laptop,
that being the name of my home web-server.
I guess I must have set this at some point,
perhaps when I had ideas above my station.

I've changed this to
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(eircom.net)dnl
that being the name of my ISP.
Hopefully this will assuage the spam thought-police.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net