KMail: why is my email spam?

Andrew Parker gbofspam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:36:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> A number of people have been telling me for some time
> (months if not years) that my email is being defined as spam.
> [This is email that could not by any stretch of the imagination
> be considered as spam, even by the thought-police.]
>
> I always use (and always have used) KMail,
> and I don't see anything odd in my settings.
> I use the default sendmail for sending email,
> which could conceivably be the cause of the problem.
>
> I wonder if anyone has come across this,
> and can offer an expanation and if possible a solution?
>
> I think that all the email in question is sent to mailing lists.
> Also, some if not all the people who complain mention google or gmail,
> I'm not sure why.

I frequently get this with gmail (including this email), but if I
report it as non-spam (actually report as non-phishing) a few times it
goes away for a low number of months.

As noted elsewhere, gmail comes up with the following:

Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of
following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal
information.  Learn more

The learn more link is
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=8253

Not sure if the knowledge that its being detected as phishing rather
than actual spam is of any help, but maybe some insight is better than
nothing?

I would make the assumption that the body of your emails are not being
detected as spam which leaves either the headers or the signature, or
a combination of the two.  If all else fails, you could try
removing/altering the signature?