KMail: why is my email spam?

Andrew Parker gbofspam at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:44:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:43 PM, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> But looking at the raw email, you seem to be sending the emails:
>>>
>>> your computer > gmane > target mailing list.
>>>
>>> Since neither your computer or gmane is eircom.net, it's fairly
>>> logical to assume that you aren't really the sender of the email, and
>>> is therefore spam.
>>>
>>> You want to use the SMTP servers provided by eircom.net to send your
>>> email. So:
>>>
>>> your computer > eircom.net SMTP > target mailing list.
>>
>> Thanks very much for all the responses, and the advice,
>> especially the above.
>>
>> I see that I had
>> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(gayleard.com)dnl
>> in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc on my laptop,
>> that being the name of my home web-server.
>> I guess I must have set this at some point,
>> perhaps when I had ideas above my station.
>>
>> I've changed this to
>> MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(eircom.net)dnl
>> that being the name of my ISP.
>> Hopefully this will assuage the spam thought-police.
>
> That at least helps. Ideally you would just use your ISPs SMTP servers
> though, instead of your own sendmail.
>

> --
> Fedora 11
> (www.pembo13.com)

You can use sendmail with your ISP's SMTP servers too by making
sendmail a smart relay.  I use this snippet with new installs to
achieve it:

{
  SMTP_SERVER=mail.optonline.net
  DATE=$(date +%Y%m%d-%H%M%S)
  sed -i.$DATE -e 's/^DS.*/DS'$SMTP_SERVER'/' /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
  diff /etc/mail/sendmail.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.$DATE
  service sendmail restart
}

Yes, that is modifying sendmail.cf directly (slaps wrist with a
feather boa) but its the only config change I ever make, so it works
for me :)