Akonadi not starting in 4.5 RC-1

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Jul 2 17:53:47 UTC 2010

Anoop wrote:
> Test 2:  ERROR
> --------
>
> Akonadi was started as root
> Details: Running Internet-facing applications as root/administrator
> exposes you to many security risks. MySQL, used by this Akonadi
> installation, will not allow itself to run as root, to protect you from
> these risks.

This check is new: http://websvn.kde.org/?revision=1106949&view=revision ,
however I don't think this is the error which is aborting Akonadi, but this:

> Test 16:  ERROR
> --------
>
> Current Akonadi server error log found.
> Details: The Akonadi server reported errors during its current startup.
> The log can be found in <a

href='/root/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error'>/root/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error</a>.

> File content of '/root/.local/share/akonadi/akonadiserver.error':
> Database process exited unexpectedly during initial connection!
> executable: "/usr/libexec/mysqld"
> arguments: ("--defaults-file=/root/.local/share/akonadi//mysql.conf",
> "--datadir", "/root/.local/share/akonadi/db_data/",
> "--socket=/root/.local/share/akonadi/db_misc/mysql.socket")
> stdout: ""
> stderr: "100702  9:35:12 [ERROR] Fatal error: Please read "Security"
> section of the manual to find out how to run mysqld as root!

is.

The problem is that the end of mysql-global.conf now starts a [client]
section, so the user=root in your mysql-local.conf ends up in the wrong
section. Try using:
[mysqld]
user=root
in mysql-local.conf.

That said, unfortunately, I think the additional check in the self test is
also going to make things not work properly unless you patch the package,
since kdepim apps tend to quit if they see any errors in the self-test, even
if Akonadi is actually working.

        Kevin Kofler