kdepim4.5

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Jul 3 20:43:40 UTC 2010

On 07/03/2010 06:56 PM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> Fine. K. then. I guess I am getting confused. But that means that I will not
> always know what package goes with what package which means that I will not be
> able to rely on the relative stability of whats coming out of kde-redhat.
> Bummer really since I've been with the repo for a very very long time. Bummer,
> because I won't have the resources to be able to help, what little I can,
> because I'm never going to be sure of how tight the integration between all
> the packages are going to be in the repo that they're sitting in. Bummer since
> kde-redhat has become an extension of the kde release cycle rather than the
> kde packaged for fedora release cycle. I guess that once 4.5 goes gold I will
> have to rely only on Fedora's stable packaging. I guess that's OK, because I
> know that the final product when its finally going to be released is going to be
> great. Really a bummer for me though, because I have enjoyed very much
> watching how each full release has progressed over time.

You're not making any sense there, to be honest.

The situation with kdepim is that it won't be ready to be released
with KDE 4.5.0, but only a bit later; it is going to be released
with 4.5.1 or 4.5.2. Hence kdepim is currently at beta1, while
the rest of the KDE SC is already at rc1.

However, kde-unstable has already shipped both KDE SC 4.5 beta1
and beta2 (as well as betas of previous KDE SC releases, including
the respective kdepim betas!), so kde-unstable is obviously OK to
cary beta-level KDE releases for a long time.

There's a beta of a kdepim release. It's going into kde-unstable.
Just like the beta of kdepim 4.4. And 4.3. And 4.2. ...

There's nothing unusual about this, except that the production
release of kdepim 4.5 is delayed a bit beyond the release of the
rest of the SC.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein