kdepim4.5

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 4 14:39:43 UTC 2010

Quoting Eike Hein <hein at kde.org>:

> On 07/04/2010 06:53 AM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>> It is not unforseable that
>> me you or someone else, on purpose or by accident or for whatever reason
>> installs kdepim 4.5 on a production desktop.
>
> kde-unstable is not for production desktops. If kde-unstable were to
> cater to production desktops, it would not be able to fulfill the pur-
> pose it currently serves, which is to test software that is expected
> to be part of the next Fedora release.
>
> Keeping the kdepim 4.5 beta out of kde-unstable would create a dange-
> rous precedent for the future by hampering what kde-unstable has up
> until now been used for, and thus limiting its usefulness for pre-
> release testing, and thus limiting testing. Further it creates a
> feedback loop: People would only even more get the impression that
> kde-unstable is suitable for production desktops, which would put
> the KDE SIG under even more pressure to keep it suitable for pro-
> duction desktops. Thus making the problem even bigger.
>
> This would have bad repercussions for Fedora KDE in at least two
> ways: Less pre-release testing, and less pressure to do the work to
> get stuff into the main tree because everyone is using kde-unstable
> anyway.
>
> I've seen that happen at other distros, were the KDE team or other
> teams create personal repositories, and lose the discipline to do
> proper release integration work. It's a downward spiral, let's not
> let that happen.
>
> Bottom line: Unstable means *unstable*.

Yes it does. But unstable in what context. Sorry about sounding philosophical about this. But if your talking about kdepim 4.5 release in the context of kde development then yes its unstable. If your talking about kdepim 4.5 in terms of fedora release then your talking about unusable. Why... because the developers have said that this is not for release.

Others have pointed out to me that if one needs to test whether a package will build correctly then koji scratch builds are ideal.

Eli

Eli

believed to be clean.