kdepim4.5

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 4 20:11:20 UTC 2010

On Sunday 04 July 2010 22:43:11 Eike Hein wrote:
> On 7/4/2010 4:39 PM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > Why... because the developers have said that this is not for release.
>
> You keep repeating this, and it keeps being untrue. It's
> a beta release. There's a plan for when the final release
> can be expected (alongside KDE SC 4.5.1 or 4.5.2). kde-
> unstable has carried all the other beta-level KDE SC 4.5
> packages so far.
>
> If you understand "beta" as "this is not for release" and
> thus "not for kde-unstable", then kde-unstable should ne-
> ver carry any KDE SC beta packages. But it has done so for
> years. Same for Qt betas. Heck, even Qt Technical Previews.
>
> Let's get to the bottom here: You're interested in an ar-
> bitrary decision being made that suits your personal pre-
> ference, not making a decision consistent with how kde-un-
> stable has been run so far and its purpose.

Excuse me.... This last part is a bit of troll. But I will repsond. No.. I'm
not asking for an arbitrary decision. You are asking for one that breaks with
what has been typical for kde-redhat for years. kde-redhat is not a qa
environement for kde. It is a qa environment for up and coming releases of kde
in (previously) redhat / (now) fedora. We are currently testing 4.5 as RC1 not
4.5.1 (vaporware). To make the correction that you've pointed out. kdepim 4.5
(I wouldn't be surprised to find that the version get bumped up to 4.5.1 as
well if it gets released with kde 4.5.1) will not get released until kde 4.5.1
putting kdepim 4.5 along side kde 4.5 breaks the testing environment. And it
will generate noise that shouldn't be seen yet. After kde 4.5 gets pushed to
testing fine put kdepim 4.5 in unstable; a compromise which I can't stand
personally, it would be better to wait until it is packaged with the version
that the developers say that its good to go with.

Eli

believed to be clean.