kdepim4.5

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Jul 4 20:23:18 UTC 2010

On 7/4/2010 10:01 PM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> OK... not never.... But you've pretty much made my point. And I quote
>
> And I quote
>
>       "We hope to make a production-ready kdepim 4.5
>       available concurrently with KDE SC 4.5.1 or KDE SC 4.5.2,
>       depending on how well our beta testing goes."
>
> We are currently testing kde 4.5. Not kde 4.5.1

We're currently testing what the KDE SIG believes will
be part of future Fedora releases; this includes the
future kdepim release of which there is a beta now.

The KDE SIG likes to closely track pre-releases of fu-
ture KDE releases. This way, it can have the required
packaging changes figured out by the time the final
rolls around, and can help upstream by providing feed-
back on the pre-releases.

(Contrast that with e.g. Debian, who started work on
KDE 4.4 packaging when 4.4.0 was released, and were
surprised about dependency changes that the Fedora
KDE SIG had figured out *months* earlier.)

Spec files for KDE pre-releases for which the final
is expected to make it in time for the upcoming Fedo-
ra release (as is the case for kdepim 4.5 btw, you
read the schedule, and read Thomas' mail) get commit-
ted to rawhide. Then they are usually also built for
the current stable releases and put into kde-unstable,
so the Fedora KDE community can provide feedback and
assist without testing without having to run all of
rawhide (see Kevin's mail).

You're asking for an exception to this process to
be made for the kdepim 4.5 beta. If you were granted
this exception, the kdepim 4.5 packages which the
KDE SIG expects to be in Fedora 14 will receive less
testing than they otherwise would, since they're less
accessible to the Fedora KDE community. That's not
conducive to the quality of Fedora 14. The fact is
simply that kdepim 4.5 is the future, and we better
make sure it's a good future, and that's what kde-
unstable is for. If you don't want to help testing -
that's fine, of course - don't use kde-unstable.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein