kdepim4.5

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Jul 4 20:35:27 UTC 2010

On 7/4/2010 10:11 PM, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> Excuse me.... This last part is a bit of troll.

And repeatedly implying that KDE SIG members and KDE
developers are dishonest about their intentions and
referring to KDE SC 4.5.1 as "vaporware" is not a
troll?

> But I will repsond. No.. I'm
> not asking for an arbitrary decision. You are asking for one that breaks with
> what has been typical for kde-redhat for years. kde-redhat is not a qa
> environement for kde. It is a qa environment for up and coming releases of kde
> in (previously) redhat / (now) fedora. We are currently testing 4.5 as RC1 not
> 4.5.1 (vaporware). To make the correction that you've pointed out. kdepim 4.5
> (I wouldn't be surprised to find that the version get bumped up to 4.5.1 as
> well if it gets released with kde 4.5.1) will not get released until kde 4.5.1
> putting kdepim 4.5 along side kde 4.5 breaks the testing environment. And it
> will generate noise that shouldn't be seen yet. After kde 4.5 gets pushed to
> testing fine put kdepim 4.5 in unstable; a compromise which I can't stand
> personally, it would be better to wait until it is packaged with the version
> that the developers say that its good to go with.

Your argument seems to boil down to "the kdepim developers
have released a beta, but that beta is not supposed to be
tested by anyone, because the KDE release that will be out
by the time the kdepim final release is out has not been
released yet". Sweet logical fallacy, Batman.

The kdepim 4.5 beta is out now. It's supposed to be used
for testing together with KDE SC 4.5 RC1 (because that's
what's there now and it's what kdepim has been developed
against). That's the combination that Rex intends to put
into kde-unstable. That combination consists of pre-re-
leases the KDE SIG expects to see in Fedora 14 as final
releases.

You've so far completely failed to make a coherent argu-
ment as to why kdepim 4.5 beta1 is not supposed to be
tested in the same way any other KDE beta release has
been when it came out.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein