kdepim4.5

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Jul 4 22:28:34 UTC 2010

On 7/4/2010 11:30 PM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Whether I choose to test it or not is my decision, not yours.  If I can't
> trust Fedora to follow the requests of the developers, I'll go elsewhere.

Another thing that I feel bears repeating with regard to this
one: It's been said multiple times now that kde-unstable pro-
vides backports from rawhide, and what's in rawhide is intend-
ed to be in the next Fedora release. Thus what ends up in kde-
unstable depends on what the KDE SIG expects to be in the next
Fedora release. And going by the schedule the kdepim devel-
opers published, the final release of kdepim 4.5 will be out
in time for it to comfortably be in Fedora 14. Thus this de-
cision is very much based on the information the kdepim de-
velopers have provided: If there was no chance that kdepim 4.5
would make it into Fedora 14, Rex probably wouldn't be putting
it into kde-unstable.

It's been pointed out by Eli that kde-unstable is about Fedora
QA, not KDE QA, and while he used that as part of an incorrect
argument, it's a true statement by itself. kde-unstable is not
for testing the KDE SC 4.5 + kdepim 4.4 combo because that's
what KDE is releasing next. It's about testing what is going
to be in the next Fedora, and what is going to be in the next
Fedora is decided based on release schedules published by the
upstream developers.

And that's nothing new, it goes for basically everything that
ever goes into kde-unstable. The by now often-mentioned Qt 4.7
is a good example: Again the upstream release schedule puts it
in a timeframe where the final release will make it into Fedo-
ra 14, so kde-unstable shipped the pre-releases.

And if you're talking about not following developer's requests,
take a look at cases like Mandriva and other distros shipping
pre-release versions of the KDE 4 port of K3b while upstream
expressly told distros not to do that - and Fedora didn't do
it, and took flak from users for it. You can't please every-
one.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein